What do you know about the drug "Xylometazoline"? Instructions for use, the composition of this drug will be described below. In the same article, you will learn about how much this medication costs, if it is prescribed to children, in what form it is produced, what contraindications and side effects you should be aware of.
Form, description, composition, packaging
You can purchase the above mentioned remedy in the following forms:
- 0,05% or 0,1% nasal drops Xylometazoline. Instructions for use states that xylometazoline hydrochloride is the active ingredient in this drug. Sodium hydrophosphate, sodium chloride, potassium dihydrogen phosphate and benzalkonium chloride are used as auxiliary elements. Transparent, colorless or with a yellowish tint, the nasal solution goes on sale in polymer bottles with a dispenser.
- 0,05% and 0,1% aerosol "Xylometazoline" (spray). Instructions for use reports that xylometazoline hydrochloride is also a major component of this drug. In addition, it contains inactive ingredients in the form of disodium edetate dihydrate, sodium hydrogen phosphate, eucalyptus oil, potassium dihydrogen phosphate, benzalkonium chloride, sodium chloride, sorbitol, macroglyl glycerylhydroxystearate and glycerin. The drug is packaged in polymer bottles with a sprayer, which are enclosed in cardboard packs.
- Gel "Xylometazoline". Instructions for use states that this form of medication also contains an active element in the form of Xylometazoline hydrochloride. In addition, the medication includes the following auxiliary components: glycerol, carbomer, propylene glycol, ammonia solution, propyl paraben, ethanol, water, and methyl paraben.
What is Xylometazoline? Instructions for use (the price of the drug is listed below) states that it is a decongestant, anti-congestive and vasoconstrictor. Its active ingredient is an imidazoline derivative.
The drug is able to stimulate α1- and α2-adrenoreceptors of the vessels of the nasopharyngeal mucosa. As a result of such exposure, swelling and hyperemia of the mucous membrane is reduced, and the amount of nasal discharge decreases.
After using the local remedy, the patient's breathing is much easier. This drug is especially used for allergic conditions, rhinitis and various diseases of the paranasal sinuses.
How does Xylometazoline spray work? Instructions for use reports that this form of the drug additionally contains eucalyptus oil. It gives it anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. The use of aerosol helps to reduce swelling of the nasal mucosa.
As a rule, the effect of the drug in question is manifested through & frac14; hours and lasts about 10 hours.
Pharmacokinetics of the drug
What pharmacokinetic indicators does the drug "Xylometazoline"? Instructions for use states that the study of these properties was not conducted. With local use of the drug its absorption is sufficient for the development of systemic effects.
What can the medication be used from? According to the instructions, this tool is prescribed:
- with rhinopharyngitis;
- rhinitis of various etiologies (viral, allergic, bacterial, traumatic);
- otitis media and eustachitis.
Also, "Xylometazoline" is used to facilitate the discharge of secretion in sinusitis and diagnostic procedures in the nasal passages.
Is there a local drug "Xylometazoline"? Instructions for use (for children and adults, the tool is used equally often) reports the following prohibitions:
- age up to two years;
- angina pectoris;
- hypertonic disease;
- hyperplasia of the prostate;
- severe atherosclerosis;
- atrophic pharyngitis and chronic rhinitis;
- hypersensitivity to the drug.
With extreme caution, this tool is prescribed during pregnancy. In pediatric practice, the drug is not used in the concentration of 0,1% (up to two years).
Local remedy "Xylometazoline": instructions for the drug
The use of this medication should be carried out only intranasally.
0,1% nasal drops are prescribed for adult patients 2 drops in each nasal passage with a frequency of three times a day.
The 0,1% spray is used in adults for one click (i.e., 0,1 mg) per nasal passage. To this end, the applicator is inserted into the nose, but at the same time maintains the vertical position of the container. The drug is injected three times a day every eight hours.
0,1% gel is prescribed for adult patients 3 drops three times a day.
Due to possible systemic absorption and side effects, all dosages recommended by the physician should be strictly observed.
Do not use any form of medication for more than five days. Do not use the drug for a long time with chronic rhinitis.
In the event that there are crusts in the nasal cavity, it is better to apply 0,1% gel.
With the missed dosage, the subsequent dose should not double.
Does a side effect cause drug Xylometazoline (drops)? Instructions for use states that any form of the medication in question may cause the following undesirable effects:
- burning in the throat and nose;
- mucosal irritation;
- increased blood pressure;
- dry nasal mucosa;
- impaired vision;
- increased excitability;
- heart rhythm disorder;
- swelling of the nasal mucosa;
An overdose of the drug
When using higher doses of the drug, the patient may experience the following symptoms: cyanosis, dilated pupils, vomiting, arrhythmia, nausea, pulmonary edema, fever, respiratory failure, tachycardia, hypertension, cardiac arrest and mental disorders.
Signs such as drowsiness, coma, bradycardia, and apnea indicate suppression of the central nervous system.
As a treatment for such conditions, gastric lavage, artificial respiration, administration of sorbents and drugs to lower blood pressure, as well as anticonvulsant and antipyretic drugs are performed.
Drugs that excite the sympathetic system may enhance the effect of Xylometazoline.
This drug can not be combined with antidepressants and MAO inhibitors, as their interaction contributes to the appearance of hypertensive crisis.
Analogues and price
How much does the local drug Xylometazoline cost? You can buy this product in drops for 68-75 rubles, and in the form of a gel and spray - for 53-63 rubles.
As for analogues, the following drugs are the most common: Meralis, Farmazolin, Tizin Xylo, Farmazolin N, Otrivin with menthol and eucalyptus, Galazolin, Otrivin, Xylo-mef ".
Reviews about the drug
Reviews of local remedy "Xylometazolin" are more positive. Patients note the effectiveness and duration of action of this drug.
According to reviews, the drug in the form of drops to dispense is quite difficult, since part of the solution inevitably falls into the throat, which contributes to the appearance of side effects. Therefore, most patients prefer to use a dosed spray.
Many people note the following adverse reactions after using the drug: neurosis, insomnia, and anxiety.
Also, some patients talk about rebound stagnation, called medical rhinitis. Prolonged use of the drug contributes to the narrowing of blood vessels, which is replaced by the resumption of secretions and increased blood flow. Also, nasal congestion returns.
With prolonged use of the drug develops atrophy of the nasal mucosa. To avoid such phenomena, you should limit the use of the drug to 3 day.